WELCOME TO THE HORSEPOWER!
By joining the 2nd edition of the Horsepower incubator, you will develop the necessary tools to perfect your ideas and sharpen your skills in order to develop the next successful format.
Who knows, maybe your project will be produced and distributed internationally?
Do you have what it takes to join the adventure? Will you give birth to the next singing competition like “The Voice“? Maybe a dance competition at the “Revolution“? Will we find a more public interest format like “Everyone talks about it”?
Whatever your idea, your experience at Horsepower will give an absolute boost to your career in factual television format.
Sophie Ferron, President of Media Ranch, stated: “ Media Ranch is the go-to company for content creators and producers, attracting and fostering the best talent in the world. That’s one more reason why we’re so looking forward to Horsepower ‘s international edition that we’re discussing here as well. This has been a dream initiative, not only do we get to work with fresh creatives, we bring on top Format professionals as mentors to develop some of the most interesting and unique Formats ever. Quebecor Content has truly been a great partner for Horsepower 1.0 and now again, with 2.0 in Quebec, giving us both tremendous support and freedom to develop the best formats which we are taking around the world! “
“Horsepower has made us discover new formats that are very promising, distinctive and of high quality. We are proud to contribute to the development of the talent of Quebec creators, in a perspective of international outreach. “, said Yann Paquet, Vice-president, Quebecor Content.
READ BELOW FOR DETAILS!
THE WINNER OF THE 2ND EDITION IS isabelle laperrière!
Horsepower is a collective force in the creation of international television formats.
This development incubator aims to discover and mentor the next generation of format creators. We will bring together six to eight talented Quebec candidates who will try to transform their idea into a successful series!
Of all the formats created, only one will receive a development envelope from Québécor Contenu and will thus enter the development phase with TVA. The format will be produced in Quebec and distributed by Media Ranch internationally.
Do you have what it takes to create the winning concept? Apply now to join the team!
HOW IT WORKS
Media Ranch will review all submissions and select up to 8 candidates to join the incubator by December 15, 2019. From January to June 2020, the selected candidates will be mentored by format expert, producer and distributor Sophie Ferron, President of Media Ranch.
Between March and May, industry speakers will be on hand to advise the group, including Tanja Van der Goes, Senior Vice President of Media Ranch.
Philip Kalin-Hajdu, Content and Scriptwriting Manager at Media Ranch, will guide participants through the training.
THE INCUBATOR HORSEPOWER - WHAT YOU WILL GET
Meetings, conferences and seminars will be divided into three categories over a period of 6 months:
WRITING AND CREATION:
● Learn how to use a good idea to transform it into a successful format.
● Learn how to structure a format including synopses, episodes and mechanics.
● Learn the differences between a television format and other factual programs
● Learn how to create key format points that set your show apart from others
MARKETING AND SALES:
● Learn how to market a project
● Learn to understand and reach your target audience
● Learn the basics of a good pitch
● Overview of the television and format industry, including broadcasters
● Understanding the television landscape: trends and how to stand out
● Format analysis: Identify the interests of potential customers and target audience and learn how to engage them
● Market research: evaluate the success factors of different global successes and the particularities of the territories.
Each participant is accompanied by a mentor, all of whom are leading experts of the industry.
The mentors from the 2020 and 2nd edition:
- DAVID SCHIFF, Games show Fox Network
- MIKE MORLEY, Ex Endemol, Ex Sony
- DARREN BUNKLEY, Amazing Race Show Runner
- LISETTE VAN DIEPEN, Ex Endemol, Ex Sony
- GARETH WILLIAMS, Ex Discovery Network BBC
- PHILIP LIVINGSTON, Formats Consultant
- LEIGH HAMPTON, Emmy Awards Producer
THE PARTICIPANTS OF THE 2ND EDITION
Over 80 applicants entered the competition and eight finalists (5 women, 3 men) were chosen to participate in Horsepower 2.0 with the goal to create eight fresh formats for broadcast and distribution. Formats created by remaining candidates may also be developed and distributed. Phil Kalin-Hajdu, Media Ranch’s Head of Content & Storytelling provided overall project supervision with input from the company’s Amsterdam-based SVP, Tanja Van der Goes, along with Ferron.
Who are they?
- DAVID BOURGEOIS
- AMÉLIE TINTIN
- MARIANNE MERCIER LACOMBE
- WIDMAYER EDOUARD
- ISABELLE LAPERRIÈRE, Winner
- ALEXANDRE PERRAS
- GISÈLE PALANCZ
WHO CAN APPLY
* Note: An equal number of women and men will be selected
* Note: Candidates must be available for an in-person interview between November 15 to December 15 in Montreal.
● Must be at least 18 years old
● Be a resident of the province of Quebec
● Must be independent (no affiliation with a production, distribution or broadcasting company)
● Must be fluent in written and spoken French; basic English is essential
● Must be available to spend at least 25 hours per month from January to June 2020 to attend meetings, seminars and working sessions. **See the tentative schedule below.
● Candidates are responsible for their own transportation and accommodation.
● Must have access to a personal computer, Microsoft Word and Skype.
● Experience in television or writing is considerable, but not mandatory – we are looking for innovative, intelligent, creative thinkers who like to develop ideas.
HOW TO APPLY
Registration for the 3rd cohort will begin soon, so stay tuned!